Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia
Insomnia is a sleep disorder with serious consequences on physical and mental health. It is manifested as failing to fall asleep, interrupted sleep or failing to maintain state of sleep as desired. This condition is prevalent in more than 10% of the adult population.
Prevalence is higher in women and older adults due to the presence of physical or mental co morbid conditions. The complexities of modern life and unhealthy lifestyle are the main reasons why there is now a higher prevalence of this condition. Stressful daily activities continue into the evening and reduce good sleep during the night.
Lack of good sleep during the night prevents the body from revitalizing physical and mental health. As this continues, chronic insomnia and co morbid diseases appear. People with insomnia have an increased risk of developing diabetes, depression and hypertension.
Ayurveda considers sleep, food and controlled sex as the three pillars of equilibrium of body humors. A busy modern life requires repair and nourishment to the mind and body through sleep. Ayurveda believes that insomnia or restless sleep is mainly because of imbalanced vata dosha. Vata dosha is responsible for movement, activity and thinking process.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Insomnia:
- Shirodhara: Pouring of medicated oils or buttermilk over scalp. The procedure helps in regulating the brain's metabolism and thus regulates the sleep rhythm.
- Shirobhyanga: Head massage using herbal oils with specialised gentle deep strokes and pressure on various marma points over head. It reduce stress and depression.
- Abhyanga: Oil massage which is relaxing in nature is beneficial and advised. This procedure stimulated sensory centers spread all over the body.
- Healthy Diet: To Prevent toxins from the body, easily digestable food with Vata and Pitta pacifying Property is advised.
- Yoga: Yoga helps in managing stress and maintaining healthy sleep pattern.
The above mentioned treatment plan is the General treatment for Sleep disorders for a normal healthy Person. However, Our doctor will have to check your past medical history and diagnose your present heallth condition, before finalizing right treatment plan for you.